Marshmellow Caramel Slice
Soft, fluffy, and gooey! This delicious slice has a cake base and caramel filling topped with a light and chewy marshmallow!
150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
65g (3/4 cup) desiccated coconut
80g (1/2 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
125g butter, melted
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
60g butter, extra
4 tsp gelatine
1 cup cold water (250ml)
1 cup castor sugar (225g)
1 egg white
1 cup icing sugar (150g)
Shredded coconut, toasted, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 25 x 16cm slice pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 long sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
2. Combine the flour, coconut, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add melted butter and mix until combined. Spoon into the prepared pan and press firmly over base. Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool completely.
3. Place the condensed milk, golden syrup, and extra butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes or until caramel thickens and is golden. Spread over the base. And put in fridge to cool.
4. Soften gelatine in cold water in a medium saucepan. Add castor sugar and boil for 8 minutes. Cool.
5. In a separate large bowl, beat egg white until stiff. Fold in icing sugar, then slowly pour in cooled gelatine. Beat until white and thick (about 3-5 minutes).
6. Spoon the marshmallow mixture over the caramel, spreading evenly.
7. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
8. Place in fridge for 2-3 hours to set. Cut into squares to serve.