Marshmallow & Chocolate Slice
Light, fluffy, and so scrumptious! This marshmallow slice can also be adapted to your preference - switch up the chocolate topping for chopped nuts or toasted coconut. You could even add food colouring to the marshmallow!
125g butter, softened
½ tsp vanilla essence
225g standard flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup cold water
4 tsp gelatine
1 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 cup icing sugar
Melted chocolate drizzle
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease shallow tine and line base and sides with baking paper.
- To make base, cream butter and sugar until light, then beat in egg and vanilla.
- Sift over dry ingredients then mix into a firm dough. Press evenly into prepared tin.
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until golden brown and cooked through. Cool in tin on a wire rack while you make filling.
- Place cold water in a medium saucepan. Spring over gelatine and add sugar. Bring to boil and boil for 8 mins, then cool. Keep an eye on it as the mixture may overflow if the pan is not big enough. The boiling water will remove any of the scum you may see form on the surface.
- Beat egg white until still. Beat in icing sugar a little at a time then slowly pour the slightly cooled gelatine mixture. Beat until stiff and thick – approx. 3 mins.
- Spread over shortcake base immediately. Allow to set, then drizzle with melted chocolate.